Monday 21 January 2013

Malay-Chinese Take Away on Hunter - It's not laksa, if it's not an aerobics workout


Good Malaysian curry laskas are everywhere, but great laskas are few and far between. As a keen Laska fan, I have been to countless joints in Sydney over the years. My work lunch on most days used to resemble a bowl of steaming Laska soup of some sort. However, in recent years, I couldn't help but noticing that many of my favourite Laska restaurants started to get a tad 'stingey' with their soup, eg, watered-down and bland Laska soup, more carb and less protein in soup, etc. My former all-time favourite: Jimmy's Recipe (500 George St, Sydney), used to have beautifully-rich and spicy Laska. Things started going downhill a couple of years ago, when the ratio of water and Laska paste began to grow. Just when my interest in Laska started to wane, I was pointed to the best Malaysian curry laska joint in town. A friend of mine had been raving on about 'Malay-Chinese Takeaway' (seriously, that is the name) on Hunter St (58, Hunter St, Sydney). I decided to tag along to see what the fuss was about. Judging by the long lunch-time queue and enthusiasic diners, I started to get a good feeling. We ordered chicken and vegetarian laska respectively, and what came out, for less than AUD$9, were small bath tubs of steaming-hot soups with that rich and vibrant 'complexion' that I had been missing. I had my first taste, and found myself devouring the entire bathtub of it in a matter of minutes. All the boxes of a good laska were ticked: complex, flavoursome, spicy and rich paste, tick; generous amount of protein and fibre for your money's worth, tick; the right ratio between laska paste and coconut milk, tick; unlimited supply of dark red spicy sambal to add on top, tick. My white shirt resembled a modern oil painting, dunked in a bucket load of sweat, but it was well worth it!

So, next time if you feel like a good aerobics lunchtime workout, check out Malay-Chinese Takeaway on Hunter, oh, do rememer not to wear a white shirt!




No comments:

Post a Comment